Dental Exams and Professional Dental Cleaning
Your Source in Port Perry for Dental Exams & Professional Dental Cleanings
A preventive dental program is a cooperative effort by the patient, dentist and dental staff. At Port Perry Dental Associates, our goal is to preserve your natural dentition and supporting structures by preventing the onset, progress and recurrence of dental diseases and conditions with compassionate & professional dental cleanings and dental exams.
Comprehensive Dental Exams
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed at your initial dental visit. Your dental exam with our dentists and hygienists will include:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumours, cysts and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues and gums for any signs of oral cancer
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Contact us today to schedule a dental exam or to learn more about our dental exams!
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings are performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your dental cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gumline, and can only be removed with special dental instruments
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease
- Teeth polishing: Remove stains and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling
Contact us today to schedule a professional dental cleaning appointment!